Sunday, July 13, 2003

KJ-52 Hits TRL

Viewers of MTV's TRL may have noticed a clip of Christian rapper KJ-52's video "Dear Slim." Though the show apparently tagged the song as an Eminem dis (KJ says they're wrong), the video's appearance has generated a strong response. According to KJ's label, Uprok Records, one viewer named Trevor e-mailed the rapper, saying: "After the show I went over to my computer and downloaded your song. After I listened to it, I realized that your message was different. You weren't rapping about sex, drugs, and killing. You weren’t dissin' Em. I also realized that the music I listen to just desensitizes me to all of these things. I never thought religious music could be just as good as the music that I listen to on the radio. I think it was really brave of you to stand up to the big bad wolf, what a better way to promote your teachings. The song was a reality check. If slim fights back with a dis song he is making a big mistake. I admire your dedication. You could be making millions but you'd rather be teaching millions. That is what touched me. Thanks."

Says KJ himself, "I really wish they would've played the whole song and not just the first verse and chorus. It really gave it a one sided representation of the song and of myself as an artist and the intentions behind the track. My original intentions were to simply address some of the issues of me being compared with him and to share what God has done in my life. It was definitely not a dis song and was not to make a name for myself."

From: http://www.cmusicweb.com/

No comments: